- November 18 Former Slovak Ambassador to Washington and currently Ambassador to Hungary Rastislav Kacer delivered the 2016 Czech and Slovak Freedom Lecture on “US Relations with Central Europe: Love and Reason” at the Wilson Center and, with his wife Tina, subsequently joined members of the FOS Board of Directors and Board of Advisors for a luncheon in his honor.
- September 30 FOS Board members meet with State Secretary Lukas Parizek at Slovak Embassy
- September 28-29 FOS co-sponsors Center for European Policy Analysis CEPA Forum “Saving the West – Priorities and Principles”. Speakers include Slovak State Secretary for Foreign and European Affairs Lukas Parizek and SFPA representative Tomas Strazay
- July 22 FOS co-sponsors reception honoring FOS Slovak Scholars at Slovak Embassy
- June 12 FOS Board of Directors offers garden reception at home of Scott and Nena Thayer for the four 2016 FOS Slovak Scholars and supporters of our scholarship program
- January 26 on the occasion of International Holocaust Remembrance Day FOS co-sponsored with the Slovak Embassy a documentary screening and the photo exhibition of the celebrated Slovak/Canadian artist and photographer Yuri Dojc “Last Folio”
2015 – Slovak Aeromobil Displayed at Air & Space Museum
- October 20 FOS co-sponsored with AFoCR the 2015 Czech and Slovak Freedom Lecture, “Long Period of Healing”, by Msgr. Tomas Halik at the Wilson Center. Msgr. Halik described the role of religion in the transition from Communism to Democracy. Mgr Halik, is a professor of the sociology of religion at Charles University in Prague and former advisor to Vaclav Havel and to Pope John Paul II.
- September 19 FOS and SASW co-sponsor lecture at the Slovak Embassy on Slovak political prisoners during the Communist period.
- September 1 FOS participates in Slovak Constitution Day celebration.
- September 16 Several FOS Board members participate at reception offered by National Air & Space Museum and Boeing at which Slovak Aeromobil model on loan from FOS is displayed prior to a five year international tour. Boeing CEO and NASM Curator express appreciation to FOS for our cooperation.
- August 29 FOS Vice-Chairman Ken Bombara represented FOS at a dinner celebrating the 125th Anniversary of the First Catholic Slovak Union, held in Cleveland, Ohio.
- July 22 FOS Co-hosts general membership reception at Slovak Embassy in honor of the 2015 FOS Slovak Scholars.
- June 14 FOS Board member Scott Thayer hosts a garden reception for five 2015 FOS Slovak Scholars and sponsors and supporters of the Scholarship program.
- May 14 FOS participates at Slovak Embassy screening of a documentary “Veterans of the World War II” and the photo exhibition “Unknown heroes” by Slovak film maker Dusan Hudec whose earlier film “Unknown Heroes” on American flyers shot down over Slovakia was supported by FOS.
- March 23 FOS Vice Chairman Ken Bombara represents FOS at dinner offered by Ambassador Sedgwick to US entrepreneurs interested in investing in Slovakia
- March 9 Amb. Russell represents FOS at presentation of citation by Secretary Kerry to Slovak Interior Minister Kalinak at State Department
- November 14 – FOS/Embassy Slovak-American Awards Dinner in Washington, D.C.
· Diplomacy Award presented to The Honorable Theodore Sedgwick, Ambassador of the United States to Slovakia
· Cultural Award presented to Peter Breiner, Concert Pianist and Composer
· Educational Award presented to The Fund for American Studies. Award accepted by Ms. Mary Stankus
· Slovak-American of the Year Award presented to Professor Jan Vilcek, Department of Microbiology, New York University School of Medicine; and President, Vilcek Foundation
- November 14 – Dr. Pavol Demes, internationally recognized NGO leader and former Slovak Minister of International Relations and Foreign Policy Adviser to the Slovak President, delivered the 2014 Czech and Slovak Freedom Lecture and photographic essay entitled “Slovakia’s Road to Freedom and Democracy”. The lecture is co-sponsored by Friends of Slovakia and American Friends of the Czech Republic in cooperation with the Czech and Slovak Embassies.
- November 10 – FOS supported production and co-sponsored film by Dusan Hudec first shown on Slovak national TV on the anniversary of the August 1944 Slovak National Uprising commemorating the service of U.S. pilots shot down over Slovakia in WWII and brave Slovaks who so often helped rescue them.
- October 2 – FOS is a co-sponsor of a conference along with Center for European Policy Analysis focused on “Reviving Atlanticism in Central Europe”Summer 2104 – FOS sponsors 5 Slovak Scholars for summer study at George Mason University in a program offered by the Fund for American Studies. The Slovak students all also serve in internships in Washington D.C. related to their career interests. FOS Board member Scott Thayer offers a reception for the Scholars before their departure and individual BOD members host them. BOD member, entrepreneur and pilot Richard Marko offers scholars an aerial tour of New York City.
- April 28 – FOS co-sponsors lecture by Rick Zednik, CEO of EuroActiv in Brussels and co-founding editor of the Slovak Spectator on “Slovakia in the EU 10 Years On: Promises Fulfilled?”
2013 – Slovakia commemorated the 1150th anniversary of the arrival of Saints Cyril and Methodius
- November 12 – His Excellency Michal Zantovsky, Czech Ambassador to the UK, delivered the 2013 Czech and Slovak Freedom Lecture (entitled The Uncertainty of Freedom and the Freedom of Uncertainty) co-sponsored by FOS and the American Friends of the Czech Republic.
- November 6 – Velvet Revolution Day reception at the Embassy of Slovakia with visiting Slovak Foreign Minister Miroslav Lajcak and the unveiling of FOS plaques on the FOS Wall of Honor.
- October 26, 2013 – John Palka book reading and signing – My Slovakia, My Family: One Family’s Role in the Birth of a Nation.
- October 8 – Lecture by Dr. Edward Toran on The Development of Cities in Slovakia Since the Middle Ages: Life, Functions, Urbanism & Architecture
- September 26 – Photo Lecture by Pavol Demes In the Footsteps of Sts. Cyril and Methodius
- September 24 – Reception in New York City with Slovak President Ivan Gasparovic.
- July 24 – Reception at the Slovak Embassy in honor of the five FOS Slovak Scholars being sponsored by FOS.
- June 14 – Slovak-American Awards Dinner in Washington, DC.
· Business/Economic Award presented to Mr. Anton Zajac, President, ESET North America; and Mr. Milan Filo, President, ECO-Invest
· Education/Culture Award presented to the Slovak-American Foundation.
· Slovak-American of the Year Award was presented to Andrew M. Rajec, President of the First Catholic Slovak Union of the USA & Canada
2012 – Prime Minister Fico’ s SMER Party Wins Election
- Summer 2012 – FOS is sponsoring five Slovak Scholars to attend the Fund for American Studies’ summer institutes at Georgetown University.
- June 27 – FOS Board member Scott Thayer and his wife Nena hosted a reception at their home in honor of the 2012 Slovak students who were recipients of FOS scholarships.
- May 4 – Farewell dinner for Ambassador and Mrs. Peter Burian at the Washington Golf & Country Club.
- February 7 – FOS/Embassy sponsored lecture by Dr. Pavol Demes, Senior Transatlantic Fellow, German Marshall Fund of the United States; former Minister of International Relations, Slovakia; and Member of the FOS Board of Advisors
- February 7 – Dinner with Dr. Pavol Demes with members of the FOS Board of Advisors and Board of Directors.
2011 – FOS/Slovak Embassy/Peace Corps Celebrate Work of the Peace Corps in Slovakia
- November 17 – FOS/Embassy Slovak-American Awards Dinner in Washington, DC
· Politics/Diplomacy Award presented to František Šebej, Chairman of the Foreign Affairs Committee of the National Council of the Slovak Republic
· Slovak-American Economic Cooperation Award was presented to Honeywell International, Inc.
· Slovak-American of the Year Award was presented to Mary Ann S. Johanek, President of the First Catholic Slovak Ladies Association
· Culture/Sports Award was presented to Peter Bondra, professional hockey player.
· Humanitarian Award was presented to Cardinal Theodore E. McCarrick, Archbishop Emeritus of Washington
- September 14 – Unveiling of new plaques on the FOS Wall of Honor at the Constitution Day Celebration at the Slovak Embassy
- July 14 – FOS hosted a luncheon for Daniel Lipšic, Slovak Minister of Interior
- June 15 – FOS reception for the three 2011 FOS Slovak Scholars
- Summer 2011 – FOS Sponsored three Slovak Scholars to attend the Fund for American Studies’ summer institutes at Georgetown University.
- May 23 – FOS/Slovak Embassy/Peace Corps panel discussion and reception celebrating the work of the Peace Corps in Slovakia, Slovakia’s development from a recipient of assistance in building a civil society into a donor of such assistance, and US-Slovak friendship and cooperation.
- March 31 – FOS hosted a luncheon Slovak State Secretary of Defense Mr. Robert Ondrejcak
- March 1 – FOS/Slovak Embassy reception for Mr. Juraj Miskov, Slovak Minister of Economy.
2010 – Iveta Radicova Elected First Women Prime Minister
- November 10 – Slovak-American Awards Dinner with Keynote Speaker Iveta Radicova, Prime Minister of Slovakia.
· Slovak American Partnership Award was presented to Major General R. Martin Umbarger, Adjutant General of Indiana Army and Air National Guard
· Slovak-American Economic Cooperation Award was presented to John H. Goodish, Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, U.S. Steel Corporation, for outstanding career achievements.
· Slovak-American of the Year Award was presented to Joseph T. Senko, Chairman of Friends of Slovakia and Slovak Honorary Consul
- November 10 – 11th Annual Czech and Slovak Freedom Lecture by Slovak Prime Minister Iveta Radicova.
- September 16 – Unveiling new plaques on the FOF Wall of Honor at the Slovak National Day celebration at the Slovak Embassy.
- August – Screening of Slovak movie “Bathory” at Slovak Embassy.
- July 27 – FOS Executive Committee luncheon honoring newly appointed US Ambassador to Slovakia Theodore Sedgwick.
- June-July 2010 – FOS sponsored two Slovak Scholars attending the Fund for American Studies’ program at Georgetown University.
- June 17, – FOS Board Member hosts reception honoring the 2010 FOS Slovak Scholars. Invitees include FOS Board of Directors, Board of Advisors, FOS contributors, Fund for American Studies personnel and Slovak Embassy personnel.
- March 16 – FOS hosted a luncheon for defense company executives with Slovak Minister of Defense Jaroslav Baska and Chief of Defense Lubomir Bulik.
2009 – Slovakia Joins the Eurozone
- December 9 – 10th Annual Czech and Slovak Freedom Lecture: Commemorating the 20th Anniversary of the Velvet Revolution.. Speaker was Mirek Topolanek, Leader of the Civic Democratic Party and former prime minister of the Czech Republic.
- November 18 – Black-Tie Gala Dinner commemorating 20th Anniversary of the Velvet Revolution at the Washington Golf & Country Club. Guests included Slovak Foreign Minister Miroslav Lajcak and Reps. Joe Sestak and John Mica.
- November 18 – Panel Discussion on “The Velvet Revolution: Twenty Years of Freedom in Central Europe – Slovak-US Relations Through the Eyes of Ambassadors.” Discussants were Slovak Foreign Minister Lajcak, previous US Ambassadors to Slovakia and Slovak Ambassadors to the US, German Marshall Fund in Central Europe Director Pavol Demes and State Department Deputy Assistant Secretary for Europe and Eurasia Pamela Quanrud. Speakers included FOS Founding Chairman Russell and FOS Board of Advisors members Lichardus, Kacer and Obsitnik.
- November 17 – Gala opening of “Memories of Slovakia” art exhibit of paintings by major Slovak artists in American collections sponsored by Ambassador & Mrs. Burian and Friends of Slovakia.
- June-August – FOS sponsored two Slovak Scholars attending the Fund for American Studies’ program at Georgetown University.
- March 19 – FOS Executive Committee meeting with Slovak Honorary Consuls at the Slovak Embassy
2008 – Slovaks Gain Visa Free Entry into USA
- November 21 – FOS-AFOCR Freedom Lecture by Jan Kubis, Slovak Minister of Foreign Affairs. The lecture was entitled: “Strengthening US-Slovak Cooperation and the Transatlantic Partnership: Opportunities and Challenges in Today’s World”
- October 8 – FOS Board of Directors hosted a luncheon for a visiting Slovak delegation headed by President and Mrs. Ivan Gašparovič at the Washington Golf & Country Club. Also attending the luncheon were Slovak Foreign Minister Ján Kubiš, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of the Interior Róbert Kaliňák, Minister of Culture Marek Maďarič, U.S. Ambassador to Slovakia Vincent Obsitnik and acting Chargé d’Affaires at the Slovak Embassy Mr. Andrej Droba.
- October 2 – FOS co-sponsored CSIS International Conference on “New Allies and the New U.S Administration: Priorities for CEE-US Relations.”
- September 14 – Presentation of FOS Medals of Honor to six deserving individuals at the Fourth Biennial Western Pennsylvania Slovak Cultural Association’s Awards Dinner.
- July 10 – Juraj and Julie Slavik, Members of the FOS Board of Advisors and Board of Directors respectively, hosted a reception for the 2008 FOS Slovak Scholars.
- July-August – FOS sponsored three Slovak Scholars attending the Fund for American Studies’ program at Georgetown University.
- June 23 – Farewell reception for Slovak Ambassador Rastislav Kacer and his wife Tina at the Embassy of Slovakia.
- May 15 – In cooperation with the American Friends of the Czech Republic, FOS sponsored a Central European Energy Security Forum at the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS). The focus was primarily on energy security issues concerning the Visegrad countries.
- February 13 – FOS sponsored dinner for corporate executives at residence of Slovak Ambassador Rastislav Kacer. Representatives from Boeing, L3 Communications, Raytheon and U.S. Steel attended.
2007 – Schengen Agreement Ends Border Controls for Schengen Visa Holders
- December 10, 2007 – FOS Gala Dinner in Bratislava with Slovak Foreign Minister Jan Kubis and keynote speaker Ken Walsh, Chief White House Correspondent for U.S. News & World Report. FOS Awards were presented to Minister Kubis (Politics/Diplomacy Award), Mr. Milan Filo, CEO and Chairman of the Board of Eco-Invest (Business/Economics Award), and Prof. MUDr. Branislav Lichardus, Rector, City University School of Management (Education Award).
- November 30 – FOS and Ambassador Kacer honored the Board of Directors and Senior Staff of the Slovak American Enterprise Fund for their contributions to supporting Slovakia’s vibrant market economy.
- November 16 – FOS-AFOCR Freedom Lecture at CSIS. Lecture given by Czech Deputy Prime Minister Alexandr Vondra on “The EU and the US in the 21st Century” examining the transatlantic relationship.
- November 12 – The FOS Board of Directors and Ambassador Kacer gave a send-off dinner for the new United States Ambassador to Slovakia, Vincent Obsitnik, and his wife Annemarie. Scott Salmon of the FOS Board presented Ambassador Obsitnik with a bronze table-top replica of the Iwo Jima memorial which includes SGT Michael Strank, one of three Marines involved in the flag raising who was killed in action later in the battle.
- June – August – 2007 FOS Slovak Scholars, Martin Korcek and Jana Sebosikova, attend summer institutes at Georgetown University and interned with corporate offices in Washington, DC.
- June 18 – FOS Slovak Scholarship fundraising dinner at the residence of Ambassador Rastislav Kacer.
- April 18 – FOS hosted a luncheon in honor of visiting Slovak Foreign Minister Jan Kubis at Teatro Goldoni, an award-winning Italian restaurant in Washington, DC owned by one of the members of the FOS Board of Directors.
- April 4 – FOS co-sponsored a luncheon for Ľubomír Jahnátek, visiting Slovak Minister of Economy, at the Slovak Embassy. In addition to Slovak Ambassador Rastislav Kacer, attendees included officials from the U.S. Department of Commerce, the U.S. Trade Representative’s office, corporate executives and members of the FOS Board of Directors and Board of Advisors.
- March 5 – FOS, American Friends of the Czech Republic and the Center for Strategic and International Studies co-sponsored a forum to inform Congressional staff on “The Impact of the New Visa Waiver Legislation on Central Europe”. Panelists included Paul Rosenzweig, Acting Assistant Secretary for International Affairs, Department of Homeland Security; Mark Pekala, Deputy Assistant Secretary in the Bureau of European and Eurasian Affairs, Department of State; Michael Wyganowski, Executive Director, Center for European Policy Analysis; and others.
- February 26 – Reception for Diana Strofova, State Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs
2006 – Prime Minister Fico’s SMER Party Wins Election
- November 13 – Ivan Miklos, former Slovak Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance, gives the 7th Annual Czech & Slovak Freedom Lecture at the Wilson Center on Slovakia’s Economic Reform Program. FOS sponsored Mr. Miklos’ visit to Washington.
- November 12 – FOS Dinner in honor of former Deputy Prime Minister Ivan Miklos with members of the FOS Board of Directors and Board of Advisors.
- September 25 – CSIS/FOS Statesmen’s Forum with Slovak Foreign Minister Jan Kubis on the Slovak Government views on Transatlantic Cooperation.
- September 24 – FOS-sponsored Dinner-Cruise on the Potomac River with Slovak Foreign Minister Jan Kubis.
- September 12 – Dedication of new donors’ plaques on the Friends of Slovakia Wall of Honor at the Slovak Embassy, Washington, DC. A reception with FOS donors was held prior to the new plaque dedication ceremony.
- August 3 – FOS Scholarship Fundraising Dinner at the Residence of Slovak Ambassador Rastislav Kacer.
- July-August – FOS sponsored two Slovak Scholars attending the Fund for American Studies’ program at Georgetown University.
- June 18 – FOS sponsored a roundtable at CSIS on “Slovakia after the Elections: Domestic and Foreign Policy Implications”. The panel, co-chaired by Janusz Bugajski, Director of the CSIS New European Democracies Project and Ambassador Ted Russell, Founding Chairman of FOS, included Ambassador Rastislav Kacer, Slovak Ambassador to the US, his predecessor as Ambassador to Washington, Martin Butora, Zora Butorova and Grigorij Meseznikov, President of the Institute of Public Affairs in Bratislava.
- April 2006 – FOS awarded scholarships to Slovak students Eva Majernikova and Anna Stancakova to attend the prestigious Fund for American Studies Institute at Georgetown University during June 10-August 5, 2006.
- April 7 – FOS hosted a luncheon for Brigadier General Mikulas Regula, Commander of the Marshall Andrej Hadik National Defense Academy in Liptovsky Mikulas. The luncheon was co-sponsored by Raytheon.
- February – FOS launched a Slovak film series in cooperation with the Slovak Embassy. This event offers local residents an opportunity to see movies that are not otherwise available to the U.S. market and helps promote Slovak culture in the U.S.
2005 – Slovakia Elected to UN Security Council for 2006-7 Term
- November 9 – FOS hosted another FOS Gala Dinner in Bratislava with Lord George Robertson, former Secretary General of NATO, and John Surma, President & CEO of U.S. Steel Corporation as the keynote speakers. Other guests included Slovak Prime Minister Mikulas Dzurinda, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance Ivan Miklos, Chairman of the National Council of the Slovak Republic Pavol Hrusovsky, members of the Slovak cabinet as well as numerous Slovak and American business executives.
- September 15 – FOS hosted a dinner for U.S. defense industry executives in honor of visiting Slovak State Secretary of Defense Martin Fedor.
- July 26 – FOS and the Slovak Embassy hosted a reception for U.S. Ambassador Rodolphe “Skip” Vallee, the new U.S. Ambassador to Slovakia, and for Julie Finley, the new U.S. Ambassador to the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) and a member of the FOS Board of Advisors. Both new Ambassadors took up their new positions in August 2005.
- July-August – FOS sponsored one Slovak Scholar attending the Fund for American Studies’ program at Georgetown University.
- April 18-19 – FOS participated in the events involved in the visit of a Slovak Parliamentary delegation led by Slovak National Council Chairman Pavol Hrusovsky and Mrs. Hrusovsky, including a luncheon offered at Teatro Goldoni by FOS Board member Ingrid Aielli.
- April 12 – FOS sponsored Slovak journalist and former Parliamentarian Frantisek Sebej as speaker at Washington conference on “The Triumph of Reason: Celebrating the Peaceful Resolution of Conflict.” Sebej spoke on the dynamics of the peaceful breakup of Czechoslovakia into the Slovak and Czech Republics.
- February 15 – The Slovak Embassy and FOS hosted a corporate luncheon for corporate executives at the Slovak Embassy. The executives were given a briefing by Slovak Ambassador Rastislav Kacer on the upcoming visit of U.S. President George Bush to Slovakia and on the economic progress Slovakia has made in recent years.
- February 11 – CSIS/FOS Forum on Capitol Hill on the impact in the new NATO and EU member states of Central Europe and the Baltic Region of current US visa law and regulations. Participants included Mark Brzezinski of McGuireWoods LLP, Pavol Demes, Director for Central and Eastern Europe in the Bratislava office of the German Marshall Fund, and Ivan Gabal, founder of Gabal Analysis and Consulting in Prague.
2004 – Slovakia Enters NATO and the European Union
- June-August – FOS sponsored one Slovak Scholar attending the Fund for American Studies’ program at Georgetown University.
- May 3 – EU flag-raising ceremony and reception at the Slovak Embassy.
- May 4 – CSIS/FOS Roundtable Discussion on the 2004 Slovak Presidential Elections moderated by Ambassador Theodore E. Russell, Founding Chairman of FOS. Panelists included Slovak Ambassador Rastislav Kacer, Grigorij Meseznikov, President of the Institute for Public Affairs in Bratislava, and Professor Sharon Fisher. FOS Board Member Ingrid Aielli hosted a luncheon at her restaurant Teatro Goldoni for the panelists, moderator and FOS Board members following the roundtable discussion.
- April 2004 – FOS awarded a scholarship to Slovak student Ondrej Socuvka to attend the prestigious Fund for American Studies Institute at Georgetown University during June and July 2004.
- March 29 – Reception at the Corcoran Gallery to celebrate the 10 new NATO members.
- January 15 – CSIS/FOS Roundtable discussion with Slovak Ambassador Rastislav Kacer, Ivan Korcok, State Secretary at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ivo Sampson, Senior Research Fellow at the Slovak Foreign Policy Association. The speakers emphasized the progress Slovakia has made in difficult economic reforms getting the country ready to join the EU, the social and political consequences of some of these reforms, the impact of impending EU membership, European defense and foreign policy initiatives and the importance of a better trans-Atlantic dialogue. The panel was moderated by Ambassador Theodore E. Russell, Founding Chairman of FOS. FOS Board Member Ingrid Aielli hosted a luncheon at her restaurant Teatro Goldoni for the panelists, moderator and FOS Board members following the roundtable discussion.
- January 13 – Juraj Poliak exhibition and reception at the Slovak Embassy in Washington, DC.
2003 – Slovakia Joins Schengen Agreement Regulating Border Controls
- November 19 – Annual Czech and Slovak Freedom Lecture at the Woodrow Wilson Center for International Scholars featuring Czech President Vaclav Klaus. This annual lecture is co-sponsored by Friends of Slovak and the American Friends of the Czech Republic.
- October 7 – FOS sponsored a book party and reception to introduce Dr. Zoltan G. Mesko and his book The Silent Conspiracy: A Communist Model of Political Cleansing at the Slovak University in Bratislava after WWII (published in the United States by East European Monographs, Boulder, Colorado and distributed by Columbia University Press earlier this year). The Silent Conspiracy, first published in Slovakia in 1999, recounts the dire effects of Communism on the medical profession in Slovakia.
- September 9 – Dedication of new donors’ plaques on the Friends of Slovakia Wall of Honor at the Slovak Embassy, Washington, DC. A reception with FOS donors was held prior to the new plaque dedication ceremony.
- September 5-15 – FOS sponsored twelve-year-old Natalia Hoosova to represent Slovakia in the 2003 International Child Art Festival in Washington, DC, from a fund established by US Ambassador Ronald and Mrs. Eileen Weiser.
- September 2 – Welcoming Luncheon for new Slovak Ambassador Rasistlav Kacer at the Army & Navy Club, Washington, DC.
- July 20 – FOS provided grant support in the amount of SK 3,000 from a fund established by US Ambassador Ronald and Mrs. Eileen Weiser to the Civic Association “Children of the Street” in Bratislava.
- July 15-22 – FOS sponsored the participation of the Bratislava Boys Choir at the Pueri Cantores International Congress in San Francisco, California, and subsequent performances in Stockton and Los Angeles. The group also sang in San Francisco at the opening of an exhibit by renowned Slovak graphic artist Miroslav Cipar, designer of the FOS logo.
- July 9 – In cooperation with the Institute for Public Affairs in Bratislava, Friends of Slovakia organized a reception in the courtyard of Bratislava’s Primaciálny Palace on July 9, 2003 to recognize the successful conclusion of Ambassador Bútora’s four-year mission in the United States.
- July 9 – FOS provided grant support in the amount of SK 10,000 each to three NGOs in recognition of their efforts to partner with for-profit corporations from a fund established by US Ambassador Ronald and Mrs. Eileen Weiser. The recipient NGOs were: the Sense and Sensibility Foundation in Zilina, the Elementary School for Children with HearingDisabilities in Bratislava, and the Socia Foundation in Bratislava.
- June 26-28 – FOS Chairman Jan Surotchak took part in the annual conference of the Czech and Slovak Society of Arts and Sciences in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, presenting a paper on “Reaching New Communities in Slovak-American Relations”.
- May 22 – FOS, in cooperation with the Slovak Foreign Policy Association, sponsored a Roundtable discussion at the Center for Strategic and International Studies on the success and significance of Slovakia’s efforts to join the European Union. Jan Figel, the Chairman of the Slovak Parliament’s Foreign Affairs Committee, and SFPA Analyst, Vladimir Bilcik, were featured speakers.
- May 17 – Farewell Dinner for Slovak Ambassador and Mrs. Martin Butora at the University Club, Washington, DC.
- March 12 – FOS, together with an organization called People to People International, founded by President Eisenhower, hosted a reception for FOS members at the Slovak Embassy in Washington, DC. Kenneth Walsh, the White House correspondent for U.S. News and World Report, spoke about his experiences covering four U.S. presidents, his view of the current White House and the impending conflict with Iraq.
- March 9 – FOS participated in a reception at the residence of the Slovak Ambassador for Ivan Korcok, State Secretary at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and Rastislav Kacer, State Secretary at the Slovak Ministry of Defense.
- February 5 – FOS sponsored a special solo concert in Washington, DC by Slovak opera singer Peter Dvorsky. Mr. Dvorsky’s concert was in celebration of the 10th anniversary of Slovak independence.
- Movie Series at the Slovak Embassy:
- • SIGNUM LAUDIS, Thursday, May 1, 2003
• WILD LILIES, Wednesday, September 24, 2003
• Special edition, KOLOMAN SOKOL: Z LABYRINTU SVETA DO RAJA DUSE, Friday, December 12, 2003 in honor of Koloman Sokol’s 101st birthday.
2002 – Prime Minister Dzurinda Gains Second Term
- December 10 – FOS sponsored a reception and exhibition at the Slovak Embassy of Slovak artist Koloman Sokol, including the participation by the Mayor of Liptovsky Mikulas.
- December 6 – FOS supported a performance by Slovak mime Milan Sladek at Gallaudet University.
- December 5 – FOS co-sponsored a lecture by Adam Michnik, a leading Polish human rights champion and newspaper publisher, at the Woodrow Wilson Center.
- November 25 – FOS donated $6,000 to the town of Lubietova for flood relief.
- November 23 – FOS organized a Gala Dinner in Bratislava celebrating Slovakia’s Invitation to Join NATO. The dinner was attended by Slovak President Rudolf Schuster, Prime Minister Mikulas Dzurinda, most of the members of the Slovak Cabinet, Ambassadors from NATO member countries and corporate executives from Slovakia, Europe and the U.S. Madeleine Albright, former U.S. Secretary of State, was the keynote speaker for the evening. FOS presented its 2002 Awards in Politics/Diplomacy to President Rudolf Schuster, Prime Minister Mikulas Dzurinda, Slovak Ambassador Martin Butora and U.S. Ambassador Ron Weiser; the Business/Economics award was presented to John H. Goodish, President of U.S. Steel Kosice; and the Culture/Sports award went to Slovak artist Koloman Sokol.
- October 10 – FOS co-sponsored with CSIS a Roundtable analyzing the results of the September Parliamentary elections in Slovakia. Results published by CSIS.
- September 19 – Dedication of the Masaryk Statue in Washington, D.C. with former Slovak President Michal Kovac representing Slovakia.
- September 17 – Dedication of new donors’ plaques on the Friends of Slovakia Wall of Honor at the Slovak Embassy, Washington, DC. Former Slovak President Michal Kovac was in attendance for this event at the invitation and sponsorship of FOS. A reception with FOS donors and President Kovac was held prior to the dedication of new plaques.
- September 7 – FOS supported and participated in ceremony honoring Juraj M.D. Slavik, Czechoslovak Ambassador to Washington after World War II.
- July 23 – FOS participated in a dedication ceremony in Philadelphia of historical marker dedicated to Tomas Garrigue Masaryk.
- June 23-24 – FOS co-sponsored some events in Chicago related to the reburial in Slovakia of former Czechoslovak Prime Minister Milan Hodza. Hodza served as Prime Minister from 1935-38 and fled to the U.S. two times, once when the Nazis took over in 1940 and then again, when the Communists took over in the late 1940s. It was Mr. Hodza’s dying wish to be buried in Slovakia once it was independent again.
- June 7 – FOS representatives attended and spoke at a Black Tie dinner hosted by the Slovak Embassy in Honor of President Schuster’s visit to Washington, DC.
- June 7 – FOS was instrumental in setting up meetings for Slovak President Rudolf Schuster with Senator Minority Leader Trent Lott and other Congressional Representatives. President Schuster was in Washington for a meeting with President Bush. FOS also hosted a reception for President Schuster and FOS Donors while the Slovak President was in Washington, DC.
- June 6 – FOS participated in a dinner hosted by the American Jewish Committee honoring Slovak Ambassador Martin Butora.
- June 4 – FOS and the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) co-sponsored a Roundtable on NATO Enlargement co-chaired by Amb. Russell and Janusz Bugajski at CSIS. Results published by CSIS.
- May 30 – FOS participated in the Inwest Forum in Washington, DC. The Forum gave Central/Eastern European countries the opportunity to present U.S. corporate representative with investment opportunities in their respective countries. Bill Tucker, Vice Chairman of FOS, was asked to moderate the first panel at the Forum.
- May 16 – FOS co-sponsored a reception for the Slovak architects who designed the new Slovak Chancery in Washington, DC.
- May 10 – FOS sponsored an exhibition of Emilie Benes Brzezinski’s sculptures in Bratislava.
- May 10 – FOS assisted in organizing an event in Bratislava where Zbigniew Brzezinski, former National Security Advisor to President Jimmy Carter and a National Sponsor of Friends of Slovakia, spoke at the Slovak Foreign Policy Association on the issue of NATO integration.
- April 25 – FOS co-sponsored a Slovak Art Exhibition and Folk Group performance at the Slovak Embassy.
- April 22 – FOS arranged a meeting for Slovak Deputy Prime Minister Ivan Miklos with executives at the Overseas Private Investment Corporation.
- January 30 – FOS co-sponsors reception for Slovak Parliamentary leadership visiting Washington, DC.
- FOS co-sponsors monthly Slovak movie presentations at the Slovak Embassy in Washington, DC.
- December 11 – FOS co-sponsored a Roundtable on Slovakia with the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) concerning “Slovakia’s Progress and Outlook for NATO and EU Membership.” Speakers included US-EU-Slovakia Action Commission Chairman Senator William Roth.
- November 27 – FOS co-sponsored a gala evening at the Slovak Embassy celebrating the swearing-in of Ambassador Weiser as U.S. Ambassador to Slovakia.
- November 19 – FOS and the American Friends of the Czech Republic organized a “Unity” dinner for 150 people at the University Club. Mrs. Albright spoke at this event and FOS presented Mrs. Albright with the FOS Medal of Honor for her support of Slovak democracy and the strengthening of U.S.-Slovak relations.
- November 19 – FOS and AFoCR co-sponsor Czech and Slovak Lecture series presentation at Woodrow Wilson Center with Madeleine Albright lecture and wreath laying at Dubcek bust.
- November 2 – Reception for Prime Minister Mikulas Dzurinda in New York City attended by Senator Charles Schumer, a representative of Mayor Giuliani’s office and approximately 120 other guests. Part of the proceeds were donated by FOS to a fund for the New York City Police and Firefighters to assist the families killed in the 9/11 terrorist attack.
- September 17 – Dedication of FOS Wall of Honor at the Slovak Embassy
- July 4 – Solid As Steel/Celebration of U.S. Independence Day
- Support of Events in June and July Surrounding the Opening of the New Slovak Chancery.
- · June 7 – Opening Concert and Recognition Ceremony
· June 8 – Ceremonial opening of new Chancery
· June 9 – Celebrity Tennis Tournament at the Washington Golf & Country Club. Participants included Slovak Prime Minister Mikulas Dzurinda, Deputy P.M. Ivan Miklos, Minister of Foreign Affairs Eduard Kukan, Ambassador Martin Butora, hockey stars Peter Bondra, Peter Stastny and Miroslav Satin, and other dignitaries.
· June 9 – Black Tie Dinner at the new Chancery
· June 12 – U.S. Veteran’s Remembered
· June 12 – NATO Event
· June 15 – Human Rights Seminar
· June 16 – Rendezvous with Slovak Art
· June 20 – TradeInvest Seminar
· June 22 – Discover Slovakia Tourism Seminar
· June 26 – Slovak Fashion Show
- March 23-24 – Meeting of Friends of Slovakia with leaders of Slovak American organizations.